header ads

Emotional Barry Steenkamp says Pistorius must pay for Reeva's murder

Reeva Steenkamp’s bereaved father tells court hearing he and wife have forgiven athlete but he must still face sentence for killing daughter

Oscar Pistorius must pay for murder of Reeva Steenkamp, says her father



The father of Reeva Steenkamp has said he and his wife have forgiven Oscar Pistorius, the former athlete convicted of their daughter’s murder, but this did not mean he should not pay for his crime.
In emotional testimony before a crowded courtroom in Pretoria on the second day of Pistorius’s sentencing hearing, Barry Steenkamp described how his family had been devastated by the killing of the law graduate and model. “I think of her every day; I talk to her. It is difficult to explain. What happened devastated us. I wouldn’t wish that on anybody in the world,” Steenkamp, 73, said.

Many wept during the testimony. Pistorius sat with his head bowed in his hands, crying openly.

Relatives of the former Paralympian and Olympian were present in court, along with the Steenkamps.
Pistorius, who had both lower legs amputated when he was 11 months old but went on to win global renown as an athlete, faces many years in prison. The 29-year-old who shot dead his girlfriend in 2013 was originally convicted of culpable homicide, similar to manslaughter, but the conviction was upgraded to murder after an appeal by state prosecutors.

The minimum sentence for murder in South Africa is 15 years, however Judge Thokozile Masipa has considerable powers of discretion.

In halting testimony, Steenkamp described the pain of bereavement. “Ever since Reeva’s death I have spent my time on my veranda, at two or three in the morning. I smoke my cigarettes. When I see feathers or something like that, I think Reeva would have liked that,” he told the court.

“I think of Reeva every day, every day of my life, in the afternoon, in the night … I talk to her every day in my head … my daughter.”

Much of the legal argument around the killing has centred on whether Pistorius knew Steenkamp, who was 29, was in the toilet when he shot at the door. The former athlete has repeatedly said he thought an intruder who had broken into the home was hiding in the cubicle.

Barry Steenkamp described his daughter’s plans to look after her parents in their old age when she returned to practice law after pursuing a modelling career. He was not aware of her relationship with Pistorius, though he spoke to his daughter weekly. Asked to describe the events of the night of the killing, Steenkamp said he “thought there was an argument”, before being gently stopped by the leading prosecution lawyer, Gerrie Nel.

“What she must have gone through in those split seconds. She must have been in so much fear and pain. That is what I think of all the time. I can see it myself. It must have been absolutely and utterly awful,” Steenkamp said.
Barry Roux, leading the defence team, did not cross-examine Steenkamp, saying only: “We understand and we are very, very sorry. Whatever we do and say it cannot bring her back.”

Steenkamp explained that he had felt unable to accept previous requests from Pistorius to meet or talk. Addressing him directly, he said that the “time would come”. He added: “I would like to talk to you Oscar. But not now, not here. I would like to talk to you,” he said.

When he was convicted of culpable homicide, Pistorius received a sentence of five years. He was released on bail after 10 months and has been living under effective house arrest at the luxurious Pretoria home of his uncle.

Steenkamp said that, as Christians, he and his wife, June, who was in court, had forgiven Pistorius. “For me it has been difficult to forgive, but I feel that Oscar … has to pay. How long is up to the court and we will go by the decision of the court,” he said.

Legal experts say it is unlikely that Pistorius will be able to challenge the sentence he receives after this week’s hearing. The hearing, set for four days, continues.



guardian

Post a Comment

0 Comments